In this example, we want to ship cylinders into cartons and then into pallets. We know:
- pallet dimensions;
- load constraints;
- cylinders dimensions;
- and a range of how many cylinders the customer expects per box (i.e. the approximate case count).
However, we would like to know exactly how many of them we should ship in each box and the final box specifications.
Open a new document window starting from primary package on File
> New Data Sheet
> Start from Primary Package
. Make sure that the Units
are set to inches, go to Tools
Configure the input data as follow:
- Change the Package Shape to cylinder.
- Enter the External Dimensions, diameter 1.37 in, height 8.81 in and weight 0.1 lbs.
- CHEP Pallet 48x40 in.
Open up the Advanced Input Options
window under the Tools
menu which is useful for testing variables through a range. In this case, you do not know exactly which case count you are dealing with but do know a range. Therefore, set up as follow:
- Vary: case count.
- Between: 150 and 200.
- To achieve a value: as high as possible.
- For: primary packages/pallet.
- And select Show All Results.
Once you click on OK
, the program will start calculating. This may take a few minutes.
After it's done, QPM will show a range of results and you can choose what works best for you.